Lippincott & Co. south west corner of Fourth & Market St Philadelphia
Type of Work
"Advertisement showing the red, two-bay, six-story building tenanted by Barclay and Isaac Lippincott's clothing store at the southwest corner of Fourth and Market Streets, marked with pre-consolidation addressed buildings. An advertisement painted in white on the east side of the building reads, "Lippincotts one price clothing warehouse cheap for cash." The same phrase is displayed on the front facade, along with the address, "4th & Market Sts., 130" A large flag reading, "Clothing Lippincott & Co.," flies at the top of the building. Two men stand near a display of shirts, pants, vests, and other articles of clothing under the corner awning. Patrons speak with sales clerks who stand behind counters, in front of shelves that extend to the ceiling. The store's wares cover the shop windows. A man walks with a woman holding a parasol near boxes piled outside of the adjacent, four-story property occupied by Lippincott's Clothing Warehouse (132 Market Street, ie. 402 Market Street). Next to the clothing warehouse, framed engravings are displayed in the partially visible shop window of Thomas, importer of engravings (404 Market Street). A large framed print is prominently advertised on the outside of the shop. A person stands in the front doorway of the building immediately south of Lippincott & Co. on Fourth Street. A woman in a red dress rides a white horse along Market Street, and two dogs stand together in the middle of the street in the foreground.
The clothing store operated at this address as Lippincott, Taylor & Co., until 1851 when it became Lippincott & Co. under the ownership of Barclay and Isaac Lippincott. The named changed again in 1860 to Lippincott, Hunter & Scott, with an additional store at 424 Market Street. Purportedly the store where John Wanamaker worked and was introduced to the clothing business. "
(Description found on file source site)