Hand Press logo

1029
"The Neuharts, a design power couple overshadowed in their field only by the looming popularity of Ray and Charles Eames, established their own operation, the Hand Press, in 1956, when John was working for the Eames Office. The press’s logo hinted at the Neuharts’ self-declared love affair with printers’ “sorts”—modular geometric and pictorial elements that could be assembled in countless ways—and their willingness to tackle tricky, delicate handwork on press and off." –Louise Sandhaus, Earthquakes, Mudslides, Fires & Riots: California and Graphic Design 1936-1986