Hotel Charlotte Postcard
Added by Brianne Dameron 3 on Sep 11th, 2021
Type of Work
3 × 5 in
Postcard from the Hotel Charlotte The Hotel Charlotte opened its doors in 1924 at 327 West Trade Street. Standing 13 stories high, the building was contracted by J.A. Jones Construction Company and designed by architect William Stoddart. The hotel closed for good on December 31, 1973 and was by this point known as the White House Inn. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on July 2, 1979, by which time the building was vacant. The hotel was demolished in 1988. The front side of the postcard reads "Hotel Charlotte; Charlotte, NC; The Largest Hotel in the Carolinas." The main copy on back side of the postcard reads "GREETINGS---Written from the largest hotel in the Carolinas, in the Carolinas' largest city---the hotel of first importance in the social, civic and business life of Charlotte, N.C. The city was settled in 1750, incorporated in 1768." This postcard was donated to the Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library's Charlotte Postcard Collection by Jack Dillard.